More up and down …


downloadThis week has been a bit up and down again. The dishwasher was fixed. It seems there was a small piece of plastic stuck in the pump. It was only about the size of a small child’s fingernail, but was jamming the pump and stopping it from working. A local person came Tuesday lunchtime and fixed it within about 30 minutes, and that included having a look at our oven which hadn’t worked properly for a couple of years. That’ll be fixed over the weekend. We are going to keep this guy’s number.

Then came the downer! Our youngest son is Autistic and is in the ASDprocess of being phased in full-time residential care. He had been going on a Monday, sleeping 11 nights in his own flat and then coming here for a weekend visit. They test him on a weekly basis for C19 and unfortunately, he tested positive. They let us know yesterday morning. It’s a mystery how he got it though. His care team haven’t tested positive and being Autistic he doesn’t socialise with anyone else in his unit, so who knows. He seems to be okay and not showing any symptoms, but they are keeping a close eye on him. All very distressing. He was supposed to be coming home next week to have dental surgery, but that’s all put on the back burner for now. Looks like he’ll be on ‘lock-down’ until the end of March. The amazing thing is that for a person, because of his condition doesn’t accept changes easily he seems to somehow understand what is going on. We are very proud of him.

On the upside though, my father-in-law received his 1st vaccine jab on Tuesday. Which was a great relief for everyone.

<><><><><><><>

Then this morning we awoke to this scene:IMG_20210114_104851004_HDR It was expected, but not the amount that we have. At the time of writing (12:15) there looks to be about 4″ to 5″ at least. It seems to be getting a bit lighter and may even turn to rain later in the day. Not sure when it started.  I had to get up for a drink of water at around 5:00 and there was nothing then, so it must have come down quickly after then.

Disaster … well almost


That didn’t go as well as expected. I thought I would have a go at oven crisps (oven chips for my American readers). I found a recipe and thought I would give it a go. I have had a catering mandolin for a few years now, and apart from slicing potatoes when I make a ‘Hot-Pot’ it never gets used. I set it up for the correct thickness, with a straight blade, didn’t want to chance ‘crinkle cut’ on my first attempt.

Then oven was set to around 400 to 450 F and the potato (only using one at first) was sliced finely. I patted them dry and sprayed them with a little oil before lightly dusting with some sea salt. The recipe said 18 minutes, which I thought was a little bit of a long time, so I was determined to keep my eye on them. After about 8 minutes, I decided to turn them over. Another 4 minutes and I realised that the temperature may have been a little too hot.

I don’t think I will be repeating the experiment in a hurry. It was a lot of work and time for very little reward.