Before our system upgrade, when a member of staff needed to view a letter that had been issued, the system created a temporary file. These files should have been deleted when the reader closed the letter viewer. However, a bug in the system meant that these files were not deleted. There seems to be about 100,000 files taking up about 2.5gb of disc space. This causes a slow down of the network. I have asked the supplier, if I can simply delete these files? The answer that came back was not too helpful. Basically they did not know. Their suggestion, was to rename the folder, and see what happens!! So I decided to approach it from a different angle. I am moving all the files, that are datestamped upto the end of 2008, into seperate folders for each year. I can then archive them to disc, just in case they are needed. Belt and braces stuff!! As you can imagine, this is taking some time. It is probably a waste of time, as I don’t think these files are really needed.
Published by Tony
I am married with two adult children and used to work in an office for Leeds City Council. Prior to this, I was a cook in an old persons home, but before that, I was a cook at the Leeds General Infirmary. I took early retirement from the Council in 2016, and I now do part-time work as a kitchen porter/assistant in a local cafe. If you enjoy reading this blog, please tell your friends and colleagues that they are all welcome to visit. View all posts by Tony