This is the first of a number random postings, with a recipe that I like. It will be categorised as Cooking Time.
Tomato Sauce – serves 3 to 4
You will need:
- 1 x 14oz tin of tomatoes (chopped or otherwise)
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 or 2 rashers of smoked bacon – finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Gently fry the onion, garlic and bacon in the oil until cooked, but not coloured.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Blend to a smooth consistency, using a liquidiser or blender.
- Season to taste, and use as required.
This sauce will keep well in the fridge for 2 days, or it can be frozen.
For a more rustic sauce, you can omit the blending at stage 5, and use a potato masher to break down the tomatoes.